Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Real Deal On Gun Control

The Real Deal On Gun Control: "

The Home Security System


It seems as if every time some wing nut goes and shoots up the joint, people start to get on their soap boxes about gun control.  We don’t need gun control, there are plenty of existing laws on the books about all of that, what we need is people exercising self control, the last thing we need is more legislation.


The 2nd amendment to the U.S. Constitution says “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”  It does not take a congressional panel to figure that out, it seems to be pretty cut and dry to me.  I know common sense ain’t so common and is becoming a rarity at best, but I’m going to pinch a little off the top and hope it won’t be missed.


I don’t deny that it is a tragedy when one takes the life of another just because they are having “a moment” but that by no means insinuates that the rest of the gun owners in America are irresponsible and incapable of managing their own firearms.  The excuse that gun control activists use is that by making stricter gun laws, we can keep guns out of the hands of the criminals.  That SOUNDS good but am I wrong  in assuming that the people who are going to abide by any type of gun legislation are the law abiding gun owners?  Congress can pass a million laws surrounding gun control (not really because I see most of those laws as “infringements” but that’s another story) but I don’t think the common criminal is going to give a damn.  If they are criminals, I would venture to say that their respect for the law is minimal at best.  The way I see things is that additional legislation does nothing but takes the hands of someone who wants to protect their home and family and tie them up behind their back with a bunch of red tape.


Here is how I perceive my rights as an American:


1.  I have the right to own a firearm

2.  I have the right to protect myself and my property

3.  I have the right to load that weapon if necessary

4.  I have the right not to point that weapon at anyone or anything I don’t plan to shoot

5.  I have the right to deep six the unlucky S.O.B that breaks into my home and threatens me or my family


If people would sit back and do the research, they would learn quickly that many of the mass shootings that take place are by people who possess firearms that were legally purchased, including the weapon that shot Representative Gifford.


Something else that has to be considered is that unless a person has a public record that documents mental illness, mental illness will not show up on a background check as it is a violation of HIPPAA.  I am not saying that people who have been convicted of armed criminal actions should have the right to carry a weapon as I think their conviction is demonstrative of their irresponsibility regarding possession of a firearm but I’ll be damned if I should pay for their bad decisions.


If people keep jumping on the bandwagon to limit our constitutional rights, we’re going to look up one day and not have any and that will be nobody’s fault but our own.


Share

"

No comments: