Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Superbowl May Be Cash Cow For Under Age Sex Trade

Superbowl May Be Cash Cow For Under Age Sex Trade: "


Back in 2008 when I was working on my B.A. in Criminal Justice, I was tasked to find an “under addressed” issue in criminal justice to write a term paper on. I submitted my topic of human trafficking with an emphasis on child trafficking. My professor wrote back and told me that I needed to find something that was an issue in the American criminal justice system, because the issue of human trafficking was more of a European and 3rd world country issue. I wrote him back and explained that it was actually a humanitarian issue but that a lot of people, especially children who have become a commodity in human trafficking end up here in the United States. I further explained that some unscrupulous people were using American victims of human trafficking right here, in America. He conceded and told me that if I could substantiate my claims, he would allow me to do the paper. I got an “A”.

I was reading my news-feeds this morning when I ran across an article in Reuters . The article reported that the Superbowl was a “magnet for the under-age sex trade”. Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott addressed a trafficking prevention meeting in January and let it be known that the Superbowl is one of the largest human trafficking events in the United States. The thoughts of child advocates and law enforcement is that pimps will be bringing thousands of under-age sex workers (boys and girls) to meet the demand of men coming into town for the NFL championship game with extra money to spend.

Police and child advocates have been working together to try and lower the spike in the under-age sex trade that occurs just ahead of ANY Superbowl game, not just in Texas. Talk about being swept under the rug, the public is privy to all of the glitz, glamor, commercials and highlight reels of the Superbowl and the media is quick to tell the public how many millions of dollars of revenue the game brings to any given city. Before I read this article, I had no idea that so much of that revenue was made on the back of some child. Society has to do better than this by our kids if we expect for our kids to do right by society as adults………


Source


Share

"

No comments: