Monday, February 14, 2011

You Can Get With This…Or You Can Get With That

You Can Get With This…Or You Can Get With That: "


Ah, Febuary 14th, Valentine’s Day or Single Awareness Day, however you look at it. I have been talking to friends over the last few days and just taking note of their perception of Valentine’s day. It’s no surprise that those who are involved in happy relationships are all for it and those who are uninvolved think it’s a waste of their time and a gross waste of money.

I can’t help but wonder if those who are hating on Valentine’s day would be hating on it if they were not single. I’m going to set aside for a moment that Valentine’s Day has even some of the most devout people participating in a Pagan celebration (if you don’t know what the origins of Valentine’s Day are grab some knowledge) and redirect some negativity.

I think that people often overlook their blessings. I know that Valentine’s day is supposed to be all about romantic love and stuff but as a whole, I think we throw around the words “love” and “friend” way too often. So much that I think that their connotations have become common and undervalued. It’s in this modern world that people join websites and are “Friends” to over a thousand people they’ve never met nor intend to meet………that’s a whole nother blog entry. Anways, when I look at “love” I look at those people for whom I would do anything and to those who feel the same way about me. The only constant I’ve had in that regard my whole life have been my parents. Sure, I’ve been married and we did the Valentine’s Day thing too but we always did it with my parents and shared the day.

So, to those who truly think they are alone on Valentine’s day, I urge you to look into the faces of your kids (if you have them), your parents and the friends you consider close. They are the people who love you not only on February 14th but all year long and I know for the people in MY life, that all year long shit is work……….lol!
Share

Share

"

2 comments:

Mr. Mcgranor said...

Are you single?

Stang said...

I'm not NOW but I've only been "off the market" for about a year and a half. Before that, I was separated for 4 years and divorced for 2. So I did the "single and dating" thing. My views about Valentine's Day come from when I was a child. My parents taught me how to truly love myself and not necessarily seek affirmation through what someone can give me. I'd much rather have a guy who lets me know how he feels all year instead of paying inflated prices on V Day marketed items.

My parents have always been a huge part of my Valentine's day and we enjoyed the chance to just hang out.